This blog is devoted to the application of optical fibers in photography. I have several homemade (DIY) flash adapters channeling the light from the flash close to the lens. The technique can be used mainly for macro photography, but I will show examples for wide angle close focus techniques as well. The recent version is called fiberstrobe V3, hence the name of the blog is "fiberstrobe".

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Recent photos (in praise of an old sigma af 50mm f2.8 macro)

Recently, I was using an old sigma 50mm macro lens a lot. For a while I was thinking to sell it as outdated lens but it takes really nice pictures and it sells very cheap on ebay. Moreover, I can use it on my nex-5 via an adapter, although AF is lost and changing aperture is a guess (but it works in apperture priority mode quite well). Some recent photos with this lens:

Nex-5, twin-flash adapter (no diffuser attached)


Nex-5, twin-flash adapter (no diffuser attached)

Sony a100, ikelite DS51 flash, ringflash adapter

I have to mention that the AF of this lens is very poor. It's not just sluggish but difficult to lock on a subject under low light conditions (typical in our lake). The other thing I noticed was that the fish were more afraid of my big DSLR rig and didn't let me approach them very close, which is essential underwater. My feeling was that the small MeiKe housing of the nex, they don't consider as a threat. Still I managed to take a shot of this fellow:




No comments:

Post a Comment