This blog is devoted to the application of optical fibers in photography. I have several homemade (DIY) flash adapters channeling the light from the flash close to the lens. The technique can be used mainly for macro photography, but I will show examples for wide angle close focus techniques as well. The recent version is called fiberstrobe V3, hence the name of the blog is "fiberstrobe".

Monday, November 5, 2012

One ring flash to rule them all


I have to confess that this DIY project was a bit insane, especially on the costs of the materials. I wanted to create the perfect ring-flash adapter. Flexible, adjustable, powerful enough and also capable of doing the rim light effect. Ring flash that is good both for macro and portraits.
The idea was in my since a while and I finally finished the working prototype yesterday. So, here’s the main component of the new ring flash adapter (fiberstrobe V7):



This time I used ARIANA flexible hoses instead of loc-line. It’s a good copy but not better or cheaper than loc-line. Its a bit easier to get it in Germany. The heart is a "Circle Flow Nozzle Kit" (Ringdüsensystem). The attachment to the flash is not yet perfect (therefore not shown). Originally I wanted to make it compatible for both my underwater strobe and my standard flash. It doesn’t work, so I have to dissemble when the diving season comes. Until spring, I will use the adapter for above water photography. I made only some quick tests using it as a standard ring flash for portraits and my daughter was happy to pose me. 

(My son as well, but he has a slight cold and you know, the perfect lighting shows too much details)
 OK, this one is cool:



I also tested quickly in wireless mode to emulate the rim light effect:




I’m happy with the results. More details are coming in following posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment