This blog is devoted to the application of optical fibers in photography. I have several homemade (DIY) flash adapters channeling the light from the flash close to the lens. The technique can be used mainly for macro photography, but I will show examples for wide angle close focus techniques as well. The recent version is called fiberstrobe V3, hence the name of the blog is "fiberstrobe".

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Twin flash for close focus wide angle (CFWA)

The standard application of a twin flash is macro or close-up photography. It's rarely used for illuminating wider scenes and the commercial products are nor really up to such purposes. Due to the flexibility of my twin flash adapter, I can retract the "light heads" behind the lens and I can use it  even for extra wide angle photography with fisheye. With few fisheye lenses you can go extremely close to your subjects, which may allow shooting some extreme perspectives. However, lighting is crucial in such situation and available light is usually not enough. Extra flash lights are required for such situation in DSLR photography. The twin flash adapter on my nex-5 is an extreme compact and easy to use combo:

Sorry for the quick snapshots without proper lighting. I just grabbed the new sony rx100 I'm testing now. Wonderful camera by the way.

The articulated LCD screen of the ney helps for such photos.

The whole rig is extremely compact considering the task and very easy to use. Just have to concentrate on the composition.
Some recent photos from the wood:

It would work better with blue sky but I had no luck that day and recently we have dull overcast days in Leipzig.



No comments:

Post a Comment