This blog is devoted to the application of optical fibers in photography. I have several homemade (DIY) flash adapters channeling the light from the flash close to the lens. The technique can be used mainly for macro photography, but I will show examples for wide angle close focus techniques as well. The recent version is called fiberstrobe V3, hence the name of the blog is "fiberstrobe".

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Spring re-loaded (and failed)

Spring is still not here. I had some nice plans to try my fiberstrobe adapters in the nature but spring is still not here in Leipzig. There was even snow today in the morning. At least I had opportunity to take photos of flowers in snow. I'm still trying to master the close focus wide angle technique. Previously I used the excellent sigma 15mm Fisheye lens on my APS-C camera, but now I have the opportunity to use my nex-5 with the 16mm+fisheye converter (VCL-ECF1) combo. It works fine, there is a bit of chromatic aberration visible in the photos, but otherwise I'm happy with the results:







Lighting such subjects very close to the lens (few cm) is a real challenge. You need properly positioned flashes with flags to have diffuse light but avoiding light spill directly to the lens. You need tripods, synching gears etc.
Wrong. It was tad simple. I used my twin flash adapter and the on-board HVL-F20S was enough to provide nice diffuse light. The rest was snapshoting:



More photos you can find on my new facebook page or in my flick library.
Cheers

Marcell

No comments:

Post a Comment